[fluid-dev] Re : Re: About sustain and sostenuto pedal

From: CERESA Jean-Jacques ENAC/ENAC
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re : Re: About sustain and sostenuto pedal
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 01:13:08 +0100

> For unison playing, it seems like it would really screw up the dynamics.

This is also my opinion. Simply, i think that fluid_synth_release_voice_on_same_note_LOCAL() has been introduced in the code
to ovoid a sound becoming more and more loud each time the same key note is played by the same instrument like (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off,....),  while pedal
is pressed (On).
It is a tricky intended behavior, apart i think that (1) the code doesn't do this expected job when pedal is pressed; but (2), i think it does the job when pedal isn't pressed.
This is is this this former case (2) that sound more "natural" to mimic accoustic instrument behavior.
So I need more time to verify this. All opinions are welcome to confirm or infirm  ?.

I agree with yours pertinent remarks. Effectively this imposed behavior may be wanted, but not in alls situations. Fortunately, in the wanted situation, the musicien has full
control of sustain parameters via sounfonts generators.

However,  in the goal to add sostenuto pedal code,  the presence of   fluid_synth_release_voice_on_same_note_LOCAL() (adapted for sostenuto effect) is really useful.
The motivation to add sostenuto pedaling in FluidSynth is quite simple:
1) Sostenuto is a great enhancement.
2) This enhencement is very easy to add in FluidSynth.
3) Having this effect in Fluidynth ovoid unnecessary implementention in any MIDI unit (beetween MIDI keyboard and FluidSynth).

Regards

Le 04/02/15, "R.L. Horn" <address@hidden> a écrit :
On Wed, 4 Feb 2015, jean-jacques.ceresa wrote:

>On noteOn context, the function , is useful to release previous playing note (with same channel,key ).

If I'm following you correctly, the big problem I see is that this behavior is *only* natural when a channel represents a single instrument, and maybe not even then, depending on how a given instrument/sequencer handles releases.

For unison playing, it seems like it would really screw up the dynamics, not to mention causing possibly noisy releases at unwanted times. Granted, fluidsynth's unison mixing, like that of virtually all synths, sucks (hell, that's practically part of the "synth sound"), but this doesn't seem like any kind of solution -- just replacing something that's, arguably, broken with something else that's even more broken.

Or am I missing something?