Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Perfect, as opposed to Tempered tuning
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 23:11:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014, Aere Greenway wrote:

But given how much I liked the sound of near-perfect tuning, I wonder about the possibility of perfect (rather than tempered) tuning for each key-signature, and changing the tuning accordingly when changing key-signatures.

AFAIK, you've been able to do that from within MIDI files using MTS since version 1.1.0.

If possible, that's the best way to deal with the issue. It's more-or-less portable, there's no agreement on what would constitute "perfect" tuning anyway, and, besides, key changes effectively happen all the time without corresponding changes in signature.

What's more, MTS and pitch-bend are the only mechanisms provided by MIDI for dealing with unpredictable things like commas and harmonic sevenths.

Of course, you can set up alternate *temperaments* with configuration files. I usually use Young's tuning since I have to deal with open thirds quite a bit.