Re: [fluid-dev] How can I start fluidsynth playback with certain cc comm

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] How can I start fluidsynth playback with certain cc commands specified from the very start?
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:50:45 -0700

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:26:42 +0100
Martin Larsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I run fluidsynth from the terminal
>
>    fluidsynth soundfont.sf2 midifile.midi
>
> I am then able to write control change commands in realtime to alter the
> playback. For example,
>
>    cc 1 7 0
>
> sends a CC#7 message (channel volume) to channel 1 with a value of 0.
>
> Now, I would like to specify a bunch of these cc commands when calling
> fluidsynth, meaning that the channel volumes are set *before* playback starts
> (in turn meaning that I can output my desired mix to an audio file, which is
> my end goal here).
>
> When reading the fluidsynth [manual][1], I find the following option:
>
>    -f, --load-config
>        Load command configuration file (shell commands)
>
> I'm guessing this is what I want to use, since control change events, further
> down in the fluidsynth manual, is listed under MIDI MESSAGES, which in turn
> is listed under SHELL COMMANDS. However, the manual doesn't give me much to
> go on here (the quoted passage is the only info about this option that I can
> find). I've tried reading up on [configuration files in UNIX][2] without
> being able to resolve anything.
>
> I've tried making a file called `config`, filled it with a bunch of cc
> commands, like so:
>
>    cc 0 7 0
>    cc 1 7 0
>    cc 2 7 0
>
> and then tried to load it by using
>
>    fluidsynth -f config soundfont.sf2 midifile.midi
>
> but this approach doesn't do anything (fluidsynth doesn't report any error
> either).

  I set mine up in "server mode" and use a file "synth.init" which contains
"loads" for all the soundfonts, select commands
  and cc commands for "panning"

  I start with:

  fluidsynth -j -s -i -l -r 48000 -a jack -m alsa_seq -f /home/xxxx/synth.init
-o shell.port=9802 -o synth.gain=1.2 \
         -o audio.jack.id=fluid2 &

  inside another script.
  At the end of that script I invoke another that does the aconnect(s) for the
USB midi input.

  This was so long ago, I've forgotten which switch actually enables this
"remote automated" behavior.