Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth latency on ARM devel board?

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth latency on ARM devel board?
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:31:37 -0700

On 01/07/2014 07:21 AM, Marcus Weseloh wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a low-powered platform to run fluidsynth with
real-time midi input (with a fairly small soundfont < 50mb, not a huge
500mb monster), aiming for for very low latency performance. I've seen
a few posts and articles about fluidsynth on a Raspberry PI, but they
usually talk about "some latency issues". Has anybody got experience
with one of the more powerful ARM devel boards like the beaglebone
black, cubieboard or similar?

I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas, especially with regard
to real-time performance.

Cheers,

     Marcus

Marcus:

I don't know about the machine you are proposing to use it on (Raspberry PI), but I am able to run fluidsynth (I use the qsynth GUI) on a 450 megahertz machine (an HP Vectra), with 384 megabytes of RAM (512 megabytes is better).

This particular machine does have a floating-point-unit (FPU) in the hardware. I have heard of similar speed machines without an FPU being unable to run it.

On this machine, I need to use JACK (qjackctl) for it to work. I tried PulseAudio, but it would not work.

It works fine in this machine, but you really do need to make configuration changes (security limits), or it will not work.

Also, you need to limit the polyphony to 48, and turn-off chorus, and reverb.

Latency (on Linux, on this machine, and on other machines) with fluidsynth/qsynth is very minimal. I have no problem performing with it at all. Other software synthesizers do cause me problems because of latency.

The processor speed does not seem to affect the latency in a human-perceptible amount (if any).

--
Sincerely,
Aere