Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA Raw connection (Re: Reading input from a MIDI devic

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA Raw connection (Re: Reading input from a MIDI device)
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 06:36:26 +0100

On 01/03/2014 11:13 PM, Vesa Paatero wrote:
> Hi, back in discussion, sorry about the delay...

>>> I tried the ALSA raw option but it seems that "aconnect" can only be
>>> used to connect the MIDI input device to FluidSynth when "-m alsa_seq"
>>> is given to FluidSynth because only then a suitable connection entry
>>> shown by "aconnect -lio" is created.
>>>
>>> So, when using alsa_raw, what is the recommended way to connect a MIDI
>>> input device?
>> You shouldn't use aconnect at all in this scenario. Just let fluidsynth
>> read the raw ALSA input directly.
>
> But... how?

Forget about aconnect, qjackctl etc. If all you want is FluidSynth
reading input directly from the keyboard, just specify to use the ALSA
raw midi driver type, and the device to read from. And the way to do
that on the command line is what I said earlier: add " -m alsa_raw -o
midi.alsa.device=hw:<card name>", where <card name> is replaced with
your card name.