Re: [fluid-dev] glib crash

From: Element Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] glib crash
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:59:39 -0600

Not sure what happened with the address typo, since I thought I copy and pasted it too.  Glad you caught it.

From what I can see, that instruction is indeed an LDS instruction, which from what I read is invalid when in 64 bit mode.  It sounds like Mac OSX can be run in either 32 bit or 64 bit mode, so perhaps that is the difference between working systems and non-working systems?  I didn't bother decoding the instruction further than seeing that it was an LDS instruction.  If that is indeed what is happening, then some sort of compiler setting resulted in that instruction.  Probably need to make sure the proper compiler switches are being used for the intended architectures.

Best regards,

Element Green

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

Le 21 août 2013 à 16:41, Element Green <address@hidden> a écrit :

 You should be able to do that like:
x/8bx 0x039894bc

(gdb) x/8bx 0x039894bc
0x39894bc: 0xe1 0xee 0xee 0xee 0xe1 0xee 0xee 0xee

Do you know any details about the differences in the CPUs?  Maybe this is a 64 bit related issue?  Although as far as I know most CPUs should be 64 bit capable these days.

Here are some infos on the two machines on which it crashes :

The core dump I gave you is from the 10.8.4 machine.  The other has 10.6.8.  Both machines have Intel Core 2 Duo chips (dual core, 64-bit) with 4gbs ram and are Macbook Pros, best I can tell both are from the pre-unibody 2008/2009 time period and have near identical hardware (I got them used so I don't know their exact age).  These days I use them mostly as "lowest common denominator" test machines.  Not sure what other more specific hardware info you need - let me know.  FYI, for Director 12 projectors the minimum OS requirement is 10.6.  But I am more concerned that a machine that is capable of running the latest Mac OS can't run fluidxtra.  I had sent you the cpu capability list from the 10.8 machine earlier, here is the same list again but from both machines:

10.8.4 Mac:
marcel-winmacbk:~ marcelblum$ sysctl hw.optional
hw.optional.floatingpoint: 1
hw.optional.mmx: 1
hw.optional.sse: 1
hw.optional.sse2: 1
hw.optional.sse3: 1
hw.optional.supplementalsse3: 1
hw.optional.sse4_1: 1
hw.optional.sse4_2: 0
hw.optional.x86_64: 1
hw.optional.aes: 0
hw.optional.avx1_0: 0
hw.optional.rdrand: 0
hw.optional.f16c: 0
hw.optional.enfstrg: 0

10.6.8 Mac:
new-host:~ marcelblum$ sysctl hw.optional
hw.optional.floatingpoint: 1
hw.optional.mmx: 1
hw.optional.sse: 1
hw.optional.sse2: 1
hw.optional.sse3: 1
hw.optional.supplementalsse3: 1
hw.optional.sse4_1: 1
hw.optional.sse4_2: 0
hw.optional.x86_64: 1
hw.optional.aes: 0

So basically identical processors, I think just 10.8 shows more possible options that the cpu doesn't have.

Thanks for any insights.

Cheers

Antoine