Re: [fluid-dev] glib crash

From: Element Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] glib crash
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:11:45 -0600

Hello David,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM, David Henningsson <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08/19/2013 05:55 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> trying to build a debug version of glib, and will do some tests on the
> failing target machines.
>
> In the meantime, I wanted to note that when I compile fluidsynth against
> the latest glib (v2.36.3), I get a lot a deprecation warnings related to
> mutex and threads :
>
> /Users/antoine/Documents/Code/fluidXtra/src/fluidsynth-1.1.5/src/utils/fluid_sys.h:161:31:
> 'g_thread_init' is deprecated
> /Users/antoine/Documents/Code/fluidXtra/src/fluidsynth-1.1.5/src/utils/fluid_sys.h:162:10:
> 'g_mutex_new' is deprecated
> /Users/antoine/Documents/Code/fluidXtra/src/fluidsynth-1.1.5/src/midi/fluid_midi_router.c:150:3:
> 'g_static_mutex_free' is deprecated
> etc..

I've seen these too. What I'm afraid of is that if I convert the stuff
to use the newer recommended functions instead, people using old
versions of glib might suffer. So it's a bit of a balance.

What do others think?

I just made some changes this morning to the most recent SVN to handle both Glib thread APIs (pre and post 2.32) and checked it in.  I did some rough testing with glib 2.36.0.  It would be nice to have someone else test with something pre 2.30 (since I also added in some conditional compilation for the depricated use of g_atomic_int_add_and_exchange) as well as more testing with newer glib as well to make sure it all works OK.  The resulting build should functionally be the same, as you suggest, but will get rid of the warnings at least and pave the way for the future :-)

In addition I also added a name parameter to new_fluid_thread() to provide thread names, which the new Glib thread system utilizes, and updated calls to this function to provide proper names.

Best regards,

Element Green