[fluid-dev] Default soundfont file: synth.default-soundfont

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [fluid-dev] Default soundfont file: synth.default-soundfont
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 11:25:34 +0200

I just pushed two commits to trunk that enables us to load a default soundfont file if none specified, as discussed two years ago [1].

The default soundfont file is a setting ("synth.default-soundfont"), and its default can in turn be customised in CMake.

Our upstream default is currently /usr/share/soundfonts/default.sf2, except on Windows where it is C:\soundfonts\default.sf2. I don't mind better suggestions (especially for Windows) if you have any.

The current logic is such that the default soundfont will be automatically loaded if 1) invoked by the fluidsynth executable. Users of the fluidsynth library will not be affected, although they could read the setting and load that file if they wish.
 2) there is a midi file specified for playback
3) there are no soundfonts specified for loading (or possibly if they failed to load)

I hope this would be smart enough to not load the default soundfont if not expected to. If a user of the fluidsynth executable wants to make absolutely sure the default soundfont is never loaded, (s)he can override the setting to "" (empty string).

// David

[1] lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2011-09/msg00036.html