Re: [fluid-dev] [Rosegarden-devel] Problems With Rosegarden Using Qsynth

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [Rosegarden-devel] Problems With Rosegarden Using Qsynth or Fluidsynth When Using PulseAudio Instead Of JACK
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:36:29 -0700

On 01/30/2013 12:33 AM, Holger Marzen wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Aere Greenway wrote:

Rosegarden and Fluidsynth Developers:

In working with Fluidsynth problems, the Fluidsynth developers have
wondered why I insist on using JACK with Qsynth, rather than just
configuring it to use PulseAudio.  Yesterday I finally found out why I
do this, but what the cause of the problem is, possibly both sets of
developers (together) might be able to postulate.

Here are the steps of a test you can do to illustrate the problem:

1. Configure Qsynth to use "pulseaudio" instead of "jack".  Even doing
this can cause hangs if you have more than one engine configured.  Best
approach is to not restart the engine when it prompts you, instead,
terminating Qsynth, and bring it back up after completing the
configuration changes.
Using Pulse and JACK works here by disabling Pulseaudio clients to start
it (autospawn = no in /etc/pulse/client.conf) and starting Pulseaudio in
QjackCtl. See http://www.marzen.de/Holger/pulseaudio_and_jack/

Fluidsynth is available as a DSSI module to be used in Rosegarden. No
problems at all AND lower latencies.

Holger:

Thank you very much for the information. It could help me a lot. I will save it for reference.

I have tested the Fluidsynth DSSI before. It seemed to work fine, but it seemed to me there was a lot of per-track special setup I had to do in order to use it. Qsynth seems to work better for me, but perhaps it's because I have vanquished one set of demons, and have not worked long enough to defeat the other set.

--
Sincerely,
Aere