Re: [fluid-dev] problems with fluidsynth 1.1.6 on a raspberry pi

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] problems with fluidsynth 1.1.6 on a raspberry pi
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:54:21 +0100

On 11/19/2012 02:37 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM, David Henningsson <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Given that floats are faster on ARM devices (and probably older x86
    devices as well), I think it makes sense to switch back to using
    single point precision by default.

I don't really care too much.

Ok, I'll change the default to float then.

        Automatic denormals to zero doesn't prevent FP operations being
        slower when
        such numbers are involved. The problem is the larger CPU usage
        if there are FP
        exceptions, which happens in all CPUs except modern Intel
        processors.

    I'm trying to verify this theory,

I'm not sure which part you don't buy: that there are still some
problems with denormals or other FP exceptions in the DSP code? or that
denormals are a problem in most architectures?  The former is pretty
easy: the FPE check build option as I suggested. The latter is pretty
well documented on the Net, I think.

I'm not convinced that this is a relevant performance hit. This could be either because denormal and/or FPU exception handling is not being so slow whenever this happens, or whether we don't get this often enough for it to relevant.