Re: [fluid-dev] Windows SoundFont VSTi's

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Windows SoundFont VSTi's
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:44:15 -0500

On 10/31/2012 05:18 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
What do you think about CoolSoft's VirtualMIDISynth?

The page mentions your GeneralUser soundfont, so I assume you already know about this program.
Yes, I am familiar with VirtualMIDISynth. It's not a VST plugin, so I didn't really consider it as a solution, especially since I still have an Audigy sound card which already has a SoundFont synth onboard (and a very good one at that). Here are the disadvantages to the approach of using the Audigy Synth/VirtualMIDISynth/FluidSynth/Qsynth as standalone apps:
  1. All standalone synth output must eventually be recorded onto an audio track to be processed in any way, which eats up a lot more hard disk space than necessary. Further changes to the synth's notes require a re-record of the audio.
  2. Audio from the synths must be recordable by the audio software. Depending on audio device setup, this is not always easy to do, and not always possible to do without losing sound quality. Having been spoiled by Jack on Linux, I can't believe how weak Windows 7's audio routing capabilities are in comparison. If I try to record Qsynth's output, for example, I have to mute all other audio sources or those will get recorded as well.
  3. One has to remember which SoundFonts were used with which songs and manually load them into the synth for each different song that is worked on.

This is the method I must use currently if I want to incorporate SoundFonts into my workflow. I end up using the Audigy synth because it is the easiest to record from and it's accurate. I can't count on having an Audigy synth available forever, though. Qsynth gets confused by my virtual MIDI cable software and won't let me select the right MIDI input, so I haven't been able to use that.

-~Chris