Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth + Portaudio device selection

From: Massimo Callegari
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth + Portaudio device selection
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 20:14:52 +0200

Hi Pedro,
sorry it took a while. I had not much time and a little bit of troubles in compiling in Windows.

All sorted...BUT...

Fluidsynth sorts the device list, so the original PortAudio index gets lost !
For example, Fluidysnth returns this list:
  ASIO4ALL v2
  Driver audio principale
  Fast Track Pro Out 1/2
  Fast Track Pro Out 1/2
  Fast Track Pro Out 3/4
  Fast Track Pro Out 3/4
  M-Audio USB ASIO
  PortAudio Default
  Realtek HD Audio output
  Realtek HD Audio output

My application wants to output on M-Audio USB ASIO, so index 6.

When I try to look for index 6 this is the list Fluidsynth get from PortAudio:

 PortAudio device 0 name: Driver primario di acquisizione suoni. Channels: 0
 PortAudio device 1 name: Fast Track Pro In 1/2. Channels: 0
 PortAudio device 2 name: Realtek HD Audio Input. Channels: 0
 PortAudio device 3 name: Fast Track Pro In S/PDIF. Channels: 0
 PortAudio device 4 name: Driver audio principale. Channels: 2
 PortAudio device 5 name: Fast Track Pro Out 1/2. Channels: 2
 PortAudio device 6 name: Realtek HD Audio output. Channels: 8
 PortAudio device 7 name: Fast Track Pro Out 3/4. Channels: 2
 PortAudio device 8 name: ASIO4ALL v2. Channels: 8
 PortAudio device 9 name: M-Audio USB ASIO. Channels: 4
 PortAudio device 10 name: Realtek HD Audio Input. Channels: 0
 PortAudio device 11 name: Realtek HD Audio output. Channels: 8
 PortAudio device 12 name: Fast Track Pro In 1/2. Channels: 0
 PortAudio device 13 name: Fast Track Pro In S/PDIF. Channels: 0
 PortAudio device 14 name: Fast Track Pro Out 1/2. Channels: 2
 PortAudio device 15 name: Fast Track Pro Out 3/4. Channels: 2

Counting only the devices with Channels >= 2, index 6 is "Realtek HD Audio output".

I should sort the list again when looking for the device index, but I don't know if it makes sense.

Have you got any idea ? Maybe there's another solution, easier and faster.

Thanks,
Massimo