Re: [fluid-dev] Problem in fluidsynth (Ubuntu 11.10) still in Ubuntu 12.

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Problem in fluidsynth (Ubuntu 11.10) still in Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:20:57 +0200

On 05/23/2012 04:56 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
David:

I read the link on the SRU process, but am unsure of how to proceed with
it, or whether I am even able to do so, not being a developer.

Anyone has permissions to do the first part of the SRU process. The second part (patch review and final upload) has to be done by a member of the SRU team.

http://www.ubuntu.com/community has some initial links to how to get in touch with people who hopefully have more time to help you out than I currently do.

I presume it hasn't been tested in the current Ubuntu 12.04 development
release, and I am not in a position to post the fix for testing.

The development release is now 12.10, as 12.04 has been released.

I did verify that the PPA fix you made available for the Ubuntu 11.10
release fixes the problem when installed in 12.04. I did this by
changing the version designation of your PPA fix to the following:

libfluidsynth1_1.1.5-3ubuntu1~diwicppa_i386.deb

(it was formerly libfluidsynth1_1.1.5-1ubuntu1~diwicppa_i386.deb)

I re-built that modified-version-# Debian package, and was able to
install it in 12.04 using gdebi.

After doing so, I tested it in four of the machines in my test-bed -
especially the low-speed / low-memory machines (where the problem is
brutally apparent), and the fix worked.

Sounds like a good start to me.

Here is my description of the problem, to the extent of my understanding
of it:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you play a MIDI file (using Qsynth) which has a lot of parts -
especially piano parts (which have many simultaneous notes, and use the
sustain pedal a lot), Qsynth gets into a bad state where new notes are
either not played, or play for less than a half-second (and go silent).

This is especially apparent on low speed machines, where it is necessary
to limit Qsynth's polyphony parameter to 64 or 48 to avoid unnecessary
processor overhead.

Once Qsynth gets into this bad state, it will fail to play (with
reasonable quality) even simple MIDI files. The only way to get it out
of the 'bad state' is to restart the Qsynth 'engine' (or Qsynth itself).

The Qsynth (FluidSynth) developers posted a fix for this problem (in a
PPA) for Ubuntu 11.10 (where the problem was first observed), and it
fixed the problem in Ubuntu 11.10.

I have re-packaged that PPA version of libfluidsynth1, changing its
version number so it can be installed in Ubuntu 12.04, and have tested
it successfully in that (current LTS) release.

The fix, posted as a PPA, was actually their main (trunk) version of
libfluidsynth1 (at the time of the bug's discovery - they had already
noticed the problem, and fixed it). For some reason, the new version of
libfluidsynth1 was not committed for release into Ubuntu 12.04, so the
bug in release 11.10 remains in 12.04.

And the "some reason" is that nobody took the time to do so, and we (as FluidSynth upstream) didn't make a bug fix release either. Perhaps we should do that some time soon...so that the fixes will go into 12.10 at least...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David, I have modified my automated install process for my MIDI training
courseware to install my re-packaging of your PPA fix. This gets me
beyond the obvious problem for users trying to use the courseware, and
when a new version of Qsynth (FluidSynth) is actually released, it
should replace my re-packaged PPA (because of a higher version
designation).

I am hoping that somehow this fix can be put into 12.04, which is
supposed to be supported for 3 years (a very long time).

Actually, it's 5 years.

I tried to create a bug report on it in Ubuntu 12.04, but have not found
a way to do it, since nothing crashes.

The terminal command "ubuntu-bug fluidsynth" can be used to report a bug, or you can use the link "report a bug" from the https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fluidsynth page.

If I can help by creating such a bug report, please let me know how to
go about doing it, and I will do so.

P.S. - Dr. Leo (also on the e-mail list) tried playing a standard MIDI
file of one of the sequences demonstrating the problem (on fluidsynth he
built on Windows), and it actually crashed. This makes me wonder if the
latest (or a later) version still fixes the problem, or if some new
problem has reared its ugly head. I would be happy to send you the MIDI
file for your testing pleasure.

Sincerely,
Aere

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 15:47 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 04/28/2012 06:40 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
>  All:
>
>  Months ago, I discovered a problem with fluidsynth where voices for new
>  notes would fail to play because (my guess) older notes which had faded
>  to inaudible status were still playing.
>
>  I worked with David Henningson on this problem, and he made a fix for it
>  available (in a PPA).
>
>  This fixed the problem in Ubuntu 11.10, and I assumed it would be fixed
>  in the next release of Ubuntu (12.04).
>
>  Unfortunately, the problem (or a similar, new problem) is in the version
>  of fluidsynth in Ubuntu 12.04.

The bug is still present in Ubuntu 12.04.

This mainly due to lack of time/priority/thought from my part.

There has not been a release of FluidSynth lately, so there is no
upstream release that could have flown the"natural"  way through Debian
to Ubuntu.

And, nobody has tried to backport the actual commit (as a bug fix) to
Debian or Ubuntu.

For Ubuntu 12.04, this fix should be SRUable, if somebody just sits down
and does the paperwork:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

I guess we could also release a version 1.1.6 of FluidSynth with the
current tree in it, if we like.

Sincerely,
Aere