Re: [fluid-dev] About TEFview

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] About TEFview
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 12:29:11 +0100

Hi,

On Friday 09 December 2011, Mathieu LESCHEMELLE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm the developer of TablEdit, a tablature editor (shareware) and TEFview,
the free viewer for reading, printing and listening TablEdit files
(www.tabledit.com/tefview)

> I have been strongly and regularly asked to create a TEFview version for
iOS.

> This application will be 100% free as its big brothers for Windows and Mac
OSX. It would be able to open other file formats as MusicXML, ASCII tabs,
maybe PowerTab and
> Guitar Pro tablatures.
>
> I've not yet decided what I do regarding the MIDI output. I could use a
commercial SDK or your Fluidsynth library.

> In fact, I just need the synthetizer to send MIDI events in real time. I
don't need the MIDI player or even the sequencer.

> The problem is to conform to the LGPL. I would be delighted to upgrade my
software when you release a new version. Unfortunately, I didn't find how to
run the latest
> versions of your product on iOS. I'm stuck on 1.0.9, which is perfect for
what I want to do BTW.

> Please let me have your thoughts.
>
> Matthieu

What is your problem with the LGPL?

The conditions are (summary of the section 6 of the LGPL v2.1 license):
* You must release all your changes to FluidSynth source code under the LGPL.
* You must release all other code of your application, either as source or as
linkable object files, so that an independent user can relink the application
with a different version of FluidSynth.

See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

FluidSynth > 1.0.9 depends on glib, so you need to build and link glib and
gthread for your iOS app as well. This library is also LGPL licensed.

Please ask your questions on the mailing list where everyone can benefit
from the answer. Thanks!

Regards,
Pedro