Re: [fluid-dev] Major degradation in sound quality & cpu usage going fro

From: Louis B.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Major degradation in sound quality & cpu usage going from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:06:52 +0000

> Perhaps Canonical has decided to abandon support of people having older, slower machines.

Try halving the sample rate with the flag '-r22050' (this halves the CPU workload for some part of fluidsynth code)

See: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/ExampleCommandLines fluidsynth on NetBooks and low performance computers

The only way I have found to sort out performance problems is to add special debug code that measures how long it takes to execute all the time critical functions/methods in mSec.

Equally well someone at Ubuntu or elsewhere could have fiddled with some time optimised code that now eats up much CPU.