Re: [fluid-dev] Major degradation in sound quality & cpu usage going fro

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Major degradation in sound quality & cpu usage going from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:21:28 -0700

David:

Has something happened to your fix?

I have been installing it in various 11.10 systems, and it has been working.

The latest success, was installing it in an Ubuntu 11.10 system, using the Gnome Classic desktop (which you can still download).  That desktop has 20% to 30% less overhead than the Unity desktop, so it is an improvement.  On my 933 megahertz machine, I would get occasional under-runs.

Unfortunately, they have taken away all of the things that made it easy to use (no more panel icons, no more desktop icons, and especially NO CUSTOMIZATION).  So it's still very bad.

I decided to do all my music stuff under xubuntu, and installed xubuntu 11.10 (on my 933 megahertz machine).

After downloading the MIDI/audio software I use, I included your PPA, and installed updates from that.

Unfortunately, when I ran it, I got many under-runs, and it seems like it is no longer fixed.

I noticed that it hadn't installed the development files, so I installed that from your PPA - BIG MISTAKE!

It took out JACK (which I depend upon), and even after removing the fluidsynth dev version, I cannot get qjackctl to work at all, and I don't know why.

I've tried completely removing things, but still it doesn't work.  I was able to re-install qjackctl, but it won't initialize any more.  I think some libraries it needs have been removed, but I don't know which ones, or how to restore them.

It looks like I'm going to have to totally re-install the entire system, starting over.

I really wanted to use 11.10 with your fix, but if it doesn't stay fixed, my only option is to install 11.04.

But if I hide my head in the sand, retreating to 11.04, then I end up with Fluidsynth not working on 12.04, and my entire project is destined for the dust-bin.

Sincerely,
Aere Greenway

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 11:43 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
On 11/05/2011 09:12 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> David, et al:
>
> I have not heard back since I reported on performing the test you asked
> me to run.
>
> I noticed on the website that there are "0 new bugs".
>
> What process do I need to go through to have this problem evaluated as
> to whether it is officially a 'bug' or not?
>
> To me, this problem kills my future prospects. The music education
> package I am poised to put out depends on FluidSynth (actually Qsynth,
> which uses it).
>
> I could distribute my package, and people could get all excited about
> it, but when they installed it themselves (instead of using what comes
> with the package), they would find that the installed version won't even
> play the demo-music, even on a fast machine.
>
> What I had to go through to compile the older version on the current
> level is not something I could expect a new user of Linux to do.
>
> There is no path forward if this cannot be fixed. But of course, those
> are the chances I take when I attempt to develop something.
>
> It would be very helpful if I had some indication of whether or not this
> problem will be addressed, or even looked at.
>
> I am willing to supply MIDI and audio files you could test it with, and
> verify any fixes.
>
> Please consider the idea that what I have been doing in the past to
> avoid under-runs, by configuring fewer simultaneous voices (setting the
> polyphony parameter to 64, or even 48 on a slower machine), may be a
> more elegant solution than what has apparently been done in the latest
> release (probably to address that same problem of under-runs).
>
> I think my planned product could make a big difference in the way people
> learn to play (and compose) music, and I am really hoping FluidSynth can
> be a part of it. It certainly has been a rock-solid, dependable
> component up to now.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Aere Greenway

Hi Aere,

I've been on travel with limited time/possibility to help you. In
addition, the rebuild I asked you to do was harder than I expected.

But now I'm home again, and here's what I've done now:

I've taken the 1.1.5 package, and added the patch I committed as r435.
This is because you said something earlier about sound working up to the
polyphony limit.
I then uploaded the source package to a ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~diwic/+archive/fluidsynth-test

The ppa probably has finished building when you read this, so can you
download/install the packages from there and see if it resolves your
problem? Thanks!

Sincerely,
Aere