Re: [fluid-dev] Should playback_callback receive MIDI file events?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Should playback_callback receive MIDI file events?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:36:33 +0200

On 09/20/2011 02:31 AM, Matt Giuca wrote:

    Please do send all events (including meta events).  Perhaps you
    don't need them with your Midi files, but I have work with Midi
    segments that changes tempo (perhaps even time signature 3/4 <->
    4/4) on the fly.  So looping back will need the meta events
    (tempo...) to play properly.  There are other meta events, too.

Note that FluidSynth's player automatically handles SET_TEMPO events
(even though it doesn't forward them), so you shouldn't need to handle
them manually. But I take your point.

So the question is what to do about the SET_TEMPO event? I think the most reasonable at this point would be to both handle it and pass it on to the callback, even if that would disable the callback's possibility to override/handle the set_tempo event itself.