Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:07:31 +0200

On 09/12/2011 02:23 PM, Graham Goode wrote:
Hi,

Just one point of correction.

The iOS SDK can be downloaded for free. The app that you compile with
it can be uploaded to your personal iOS device and 99 others, for
free. It is only when distributing the binary (via the App Store) that
you need to pay.

Quote from iOS SDK Wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK):
Applications can be distributed in three ways: through the App Store,
through enterprise deployment to a company's employees only, and on an
"Ad-hoc" basis to up to 100 iPhones.

Ouch, so you actually get a crippled executable when you compile yourself, even through the developer program. How does this 100-limitation work? Is it a legal or technical limitation (or both)?

So point 2 is false and point 3 is true if ONLY using the App Store...
I can get the sourcecode, compile it myself in my OSX environment and
connect and upload the app to 100 iOS devices...

But what happens when you want to test it on the 101st one? Can I simply recompile my program to get 100 more devices to test it on?