[fluid-dev] SONAME Bump?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [fluid-dev] SONAME Bump?
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:54:20 +0200

As reported in ticket #98, FluidSynth 1.1.4 dropped one symbol. However, this symbol (fluid_defsfont_get_sample) is not part of the public API, so no programs should use it anyway.

I don't know how much of a big deal this is, really. Can you help me determine that, and the proper action for it?

Is it something that alone calls for a new release (1.1.5) or can we just update svn? What implications does bumping the SONAME have?

IMO, the ideal would be if we could tell gcc to stop exporting all symbols that are not part of the public API. Then we would get rid of this problem altogether. Is that possible?