[fluid-dev] Jack Driver for Fluidsynth Windows Build

From: Graham Goode
Subject: [fluid-dev] Jack Driver for Fluidsynth Windows Build
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:56:49 +0200

Hi Guys,

As a user and tester of fluidsynth with Qsynth and jOrgan, I have been
wanting low latency connections rather than the default 'dsound'
driver for a while. To this end, and with some help, I finally got a
PortAudio build done and working, and so I have WDMKS/WASAPI and ASIO
available now. The problem with WDMKS and ASIO is that only a single
instance of fluidsynth can be run.

So I communicated with some of the PortAudio guys and with this
mailing list about multi-instance PortAudio, and the end result of
that communication is that the understanding that the 'single
instance' part of the WDMKS and the ASIO is with their respective
APIs.

So, I approached Stéphane to see if the ASIO branch could be modified
to allow multiple connections to JackRouter (the Jack ASIO driver).
While this is programatically possible, the consensus was that it
would be much better to use the Jack driver natively in fluidsynth.
According to Stéphane one can use "weak linking" to solve the 'Is Jack
present, and if so is the version compatible' problem. On Windows the
simplest is to compile the following file:

http://trac.jackaudio.org/browser/jack2/trunk/jackmp/common/JackWeakAPI.cpp

Would it be possible for those more experienced than I am to look at
this idea and see if this is the valuable way forward for windows
users that I think it could be?

Thanks, and kind regards,
GrahamG