Re: [fluid-dev] qsynth 0.3.6 for mac osx

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] qsynth 0.3.6 for mac osx
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:47:08 -0400

On Apr 13, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

I've attached a document containing the terminal output and the qsynth console output when lauching qsynth with the following commands:

$ export DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1
$ open qsynth.app

Pedro

The Terminal.app outputs from both your setup and mine are identical.

Your console output looks normal, except for the line that says "Failed to load the soundfont". Anyway, there is not much information there to debug your problem, but I have some suspects:

* your system is loading some libraries from somewhere instead of the frameworks included in the bundle. To debug this, you can execute the following commands in a terminal window and send me the output from the terminal and from qsynth messages window. There shouldn't be any referenced libraries except Mac OSX system ones.

$ export DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1
$ export DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES_POST_LAUNCH=1
$ open qsynth.app

Again, my Terminal.app output is the same as above but the qsynth messages window reveals that on my machine, the JackRouter plugin and Jackmp framework  are also dynamically linked in addition to the system libs. I removed Jack but I still get the "Failed to load SoundFont" scenario. So Jack is not the cause.

dyld: loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Shortcut.framework/Versions/A/Shortcut
dyld: loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/HelpData.framework/Versions/A/HelpData

06:29:50.517 Qsynth1: Creating synthesizer engine...
06:29:50.600 Qsynth1: Loading soundfont: "/Users/login/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/FluidR3_GM.SF2" (bank offset 0)...
06:29:50.606 Qsynth1: Failed to load the soundfont: "/Users/login/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/FluidR3_GM.SF2".
dyld: loaded: /System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext/Contents/Resources/AudioIPCPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AudioIPCPlugIn
dyld: loaded: /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AOAHALPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AOAHALPlugin
dyld: loaded: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/JackRouter.plugin/Contents/MacOS/JackRouter
dyld: loaded: /Library/Frameworks/Jackmp.framework/Versions/A/Jackmp
fluidsynth: error: Couldn't load soundfont file
fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/Users/login/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/FluidR3_GM.SF2"

* there is something in fluidsynth-SVN code that fails when loading soundfonts in your machine. To test this hypothesis, download fluidsynth from SVN (for instance:  http://fluidsynth.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fluidsynth/?view=tar ) and compile it in the same computer. Does it load soundfonts?

Yes, it does but as I had reported some weeks back, fluidsynth cannot render MIDI files. FS begins with a "pop" and is then silent. One other thing I noticed is that when fluidsynth starts there is an enormous spike in CPU usage (Please find attached readings of top sampled at intervals of 2 seconds). This spike maxes out the PPC CPU. It would seem that the older slower PPC CPUs cannot cope with this enormous surge in CPU utilisation.

My FS invocation was $ fluidsynth -a coreaudio ~/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/FluidR3_GM.SF2 ~/Music/MIDI/drum_patterns/ROCK.MID

I ran the benchmarking script in a second Terminal.app window.
$ source ~/Desktop/logscript.sh > FSlog

Lets try that first, before using instruments/dtrace utilities to dig deeper.

You could run fluidsynth on Linux using valgrind for profiling and to check for any memory leaks.