Re: [fluid-dev] Sending MIDI Events from a MIDI Keyboard on Mac OS X

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sending MIDI Events from a MIDI Keyboard on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 11:49:09 +0200

On Tuesday 29 March 2011, mike wrote:
> On 03/27/2011 09:14 PM, Bastien Dejean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I thought by reading the man page that I could just plug my USB MIDI
> > Keyboard, launch fluidsynth with a soundfont as argument and play.
> > But it seems I'm missing something.
> > I tried 'fluidsynth -d -m coremidi x.sf2' but I don't see any MIDI events
> > being received.
> >
> > Any hints ?
> > Thx.

> Hi
>
> Can I ask the same question for Windows?  I'll be using Qsynth with
> fluidsynth and I also have a USB MIDI keyboard connection.  I have the
> software installed but haven't tried this part yet.
>
> I tried previously with a different USB connection which installed the
> drivers under USB instead of sound and could never figure out how to
> make Qsynth see the driver.  That's why I'm asking here.
>
> BTW I'm using the fluidsynth bundled with Qsynth (version 1.1.1) for
> getting started purposes if it makes a difference.  Also the version of
> Windows is XP Professional SP3. The MIDI/USB connection is a Cakewalk
> branded MIDI/USB interface.  Again for getting started purposes I'd like
> to use the default Windows drivers and not Roland's.
>
> Previously Pedro wrote this:
> > Yes, FluidSynth can read from Windows MIDI ports. Using the command line
> > interface program (fluidsynth.exe), you need to provide the exact port name
> > (including spaces) in the command line:
> >
> > C:>  fluidsynth.exe -o midi.winmidi.device="port name"
> >
> > The list of available port names are listed in the sound settings of the
> > windows control panel.
> >
> In the worst case can "port name" be a USB port or should XP install
> drivers that will map the USB into the sound settings of the control
> panel?  Also, do I need an equivalent of the Patchbay application for
> Mac OS X?

The port name given to FluidSynth must be the name provided by a MIDI device
using a Windows MIDI driver. It doesn't matter if the device is connected
externally to an USB computer port, or it is an internal PCI card, you need to
install a specific Windows driver for your MIDI device, usually the driver
provided by the manufacturer of the MIDI device.

The port names can be obtained using FluidSynth itself. To do so, plug and
switch on all your devices, start fluidsynth.exe at the command prompt, and
type this command in the FluidSynth shell: "info midi.winmidi.device". for
Instance:

C:\>fluidsynth
FluidSynth version 1.1.1
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

Type 'help' for help topics.

> info midi.winmidi.device
midi.winmidi.device:
Type:          string
Value:         default
Default value: default
RedLocal, default
Real-time:     no

The line "Options" contains a list of all the available MIDI IN ports in my
system, including the "EDIROL UA-4FX", which is an external USB MIDI and audio
device.

About the MIDI patchbay question: No. You don't need a MIDI patchbay software,
because unlike in Linux/ALSA and Mac OSX/CoreMIDI, FluidSynth reads MIDI data
directly from a system device. Also, unlike in Linux and Mac, you can't connect
directly the MIDI output of some other software (like VMPK, a virtual piano) to
the MIDI input of FluidSynth. To do so, emulating in Windows some of the MIDI
routing capabilities of other operating systems you can use virtual MIDI cables
like MIDI Yoke and MIDI-OX, but this is not needed in your case if you only
want to connect an external USB MIDI device to FluidSynth.

Regards,
Pedro