[fluid-dev] Can FluidSynth devs and jOrgan users work better together?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [fluid-dev] Can FluidSynth devs and jOrgan users work better together?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 06:22:16 +0200

(sent to both lists, put primarily towards the jOrgan devs and users)

Hi,

Sorry if my last email on the jOrgan list sounded a bit harsh. After having read more of that thread, it's clear that the jOrgan and FS communities haven't been able to cooperate in an optimal fashion recently.

One problem is that we don't have much of Windows developers on the FS list, whereas Windows is the operating system used by most of jOrgan users.

With the many voices that jOrgan has, that puts FS under stress tests - how FS handles voice overflows, CPU, and so on. Perhaps jOrgan is the first community to rely on those features extensively, and so you might run into issues that nobody has run into before.

I think it is important that FS sees to jOrgan's needs and, as my own time and personal resources permit, I don't mind helping out with that myself, and I hope other FS devs agree. But, for me to be able to do so, I will need you to spend time on helping me to help you. The key is often that I need to be able to reproduce the issue here, on my machine. For me to be able to do that, I need to ask you questions, be able to get your soundfonts and so on. If I can't reproduce it here, I might ask you to test debug versions of FS and return debug output to me, several times. It might even be that when the issue is resolved, the user reporting the bug has spent more time solving them than the developer has. I hope you understand this, and find it acceptable.

Also, in exchange for helping you out, I hope you can also help us out, primarily by testing new versions of FS before they are released. I remember some of you did a great job with this with the 1.1.2 release and I hope you can do it again.

With the hope of better cooperation,
  David Henningsson
  FluidSynth developer