[fluid-dev] Bank number handling...again

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [fluid-dev] Bank number handling...again
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:35:44 +0100

On 2011-01-27 08:41, Chris Moeller wrote:
Further to this, I propose a change to the bank number handling. While I
already saw some changes under way to use MSB or LSB or both depending
on the MIDI standard, I think it's better to combine the approach.

Since SoundFont hardware devices expect the bank change commands to only
be in the MSB, and those correspond to the bank numbers encoded in the
SoundFont banks themselves, I think FluidSynth should behave
accordingly. Namely, it should read SoundFont bank numbers scaled to
MSB. The player code should handle both MSB and LSB, and in case of XG
MIDI data setting the bank LSB, the preset search fallback should search
for a bank number with the LSB masked off in the event that a MSB+LSB
match is not found. This is what I currently do in my modified
FluidSynth which I link into foo_midi.

Hmm, the bank number handling seems to be constantly debated, and isn't really my area of expertise, but now that we have a setting for it (synth.midi-bank-select) - would it make sense to add a fifth version of this parameter that contains your suggested functionality, that is, if other people here also think it's a good idea?