[fluid-dev] Building the Doxygen documentation

From: Matt Giuca
Subject: [fluid-dev] Building the Doxygen documentation
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:48:09 +1100

I had a bit of trouble building the Doxygen docs for FluidSynth. I've sort of resolved it now, but I'll still report the problems I had.

It looks like it has undergone "CMakeization" but I can't get it to work properly on Ubuntu 10.10 (doxygen 1.7.1).

I tried the following:

1. cd doc ; cmake .

this produces the error:
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:33 (install):
  install FILES given no DESTINATION!

I'm not sure why this is, as the script has on line 33 "install ( FILES fluidsynth.1 DESTINATION ${MAN_INSTALL_DIR} )". Maybe $MAN_INSTALL_DIR isn't defined properly. So I just changed it to "install ( FILES fluidsynth.1 DESTINATION .)" and then it worked.

2. make doxygen

This runs fine, but it produces a completely blank page (only index.html is generated). The page has a heading "libfluidsynth documentation" and the Doxygen logo, but no other content. On the command-line, it didn't say it was scanning any files.

Ah, I have found the problem. The generated Doxyfile had the wrong paths. Here are the lines which were wrong:

Note that I am in the directory "/home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc":

STRIP_FROM_PATH = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/
STRIP_FROM_INC_PATH = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/include/
INPUT = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/doc/fluidsynth-v11-devdoc.txt /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/include /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/include/fluidsynth /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/src
EXAMPLE_PATH = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/doc

Note that every one of those paths is relative to 'fluidsynth/doc' and then puts paths on the end which are actually found in 'fluidsynth'. So I fixed this by removing one 'doc/' from each path:

STRIP_FROM_PATH = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/
STRIP_FROM_INC_PATH = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/include/
INPUT = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc/fluidsynth-v11-devdoc.txt /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/include /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/include/fluidsynth /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/src
EXAMPLE_PATH = /home/matt/src-pkg/fluidsynth/trunk/fluidsynth/doc

So did I do something wrong or did CMake? Note that the README in the doc directory doesn't really explain how to use cmake to build documentation (and "make doxygen" doesn't work without it). I have also tried running CMake from the parent directory ('cmake doc') but that generates the same buggy file.