Re: [fluid-dev] Floats and doubles, simd and interpolation

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Floats and doubles, simd and interpolation
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 12:52:52 +0100

On Saturday 27 November 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> The soundfont is the standard FluidR3_GM.sf2, the midi file is
> >> http://www.mididatabase.com/20100702/pop/steviewonder/Dont_You_Worry_About_a_Thin.mid
> >> , and the first offending notes are on channel 2, ~25 seconds into the
> >> song. The notes are affected by pitch bend, this is probably related
> >> somehow. That's how long I've come so far.
> >
> > I couldn't reproduce the problem in any of my development machines. Using
> > floats or doubles it sounds pretty much alike.
> >
> > But I've remembered another report about a similar problem, also related to
> > notes and pitch bend events:
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2010-10/msg00101.html
> > http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ticket/91
> >
> > I couldn't reproduce a wrong behavior playing this song, either.
>
> After long search, I finally found it! \o/
>
> It's committed as http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/changeset/395/
>
> Seems like we[1] used fluid_real_t to represent sample offsets at one
> time, and then the sample offsets got rounded off, so that the loop went
> slightly longer or shorter.

I've created a simple test case; find it attached [pbtest1.mid]. When rendered
with FluidR3 and FS 394 compiled with floats, it sounds out of tune. With the
same scenario but doubles instead of floats, it sounds right. Now, after your
fix in 395 it sounds right in both cases. Congratulations!

I couldn't verify if this is the same problem reported in ticket #91. Can you
please take a look?

Regards,
Pedro