Re: [fluid-dev] Floats and doubles, simd and interpolation

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Floats and doubles, simd and interpolation
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:35:58 +0100

On Saturday 27 November 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
> >> Yesterday, I tried to chase down a bug I discovered - I rendered a song but
> >> a few notes were slightly out of tune, but only when using floats, not when
> >> using doubles!
[...]
> > I wonder what is causing the bug you described though.  If we could
> > setup a reproducible file rendering case it would probably help track
> > down the problem.
>
> The soundfont is the standard FluidR3_GM.sf2, the midi file is
> http://www.mididatabase.com/20100702/pop/steviewonder/Dont_You_Worry_About_a_Thin.mid
>
> , and the first offending notes are on channel 2, ~25 seconds into the
> song. The notes are affected by pitch bend, this is probably related
> somehow. That's how long I've come so far.

I couldn't reproduce the problem in any of my development machines. Using
floats or doubles it sounds pretty much alike.

But I've remembered another report about a similar problem, also related to
notes and pitch bend events:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2010-10/msg00101.html
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ticket/91

I couldn't reproduce a wrong behavior playing this song, either.

Regards,
Pedro