Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth backend for SDL_mixer

From: James Le Cuirot
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth backend for SDL_mixer
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:58:15 +0100

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:41:12 +0100
James Le Cuirot <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have tried to adjust the sample rate using SDL's audio conversion
> functions instead of FluidSynth but this just seems to make it even
> slower! At least I think that's what's happening, it's barely
> recognisable by that point. It's possible that I haven't got that
> stuff quite right but this is a separate issue. No conversion happens
> normally because it isn't necessary.

As usual, 5 minutes after posting, I figure this part of the problem
out. :) I was calculating the number of frames based on the buffer size
that SDL_mixer was giving us. I forgot that if SDL_mixer is only using
11025Hz while FluidSynth is using 44100Hz then FluidSynth will have to
process four times as many frames. With that fixed, Rise of the Triad
sounds correct. D1X-Rebirth still doesn't.

Doing it this way is extra leg work for the CPU though. FluidSynth
should be able to work at this sample rate natively so there must be a
bug in there somewhere.

James