[fluid-dev] compatibility version problem

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: [fluid-dev] compatibility version problem
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:19:15 -0400

Hello again

In the transition from autotools to cmake on OS X, I came across version number compatibility issue for the libfluidsynth shared library..

The names and version numbers of libfluidsynth are:

1. using autotools for the previous version of fluidsynth-1.1.1

/sw/lib/libfluidsynth.1.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)

2. autotools with fluidsynth-1.1.2 gives

/sw/lib/libfluidsynth.1.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.0.0)

3. while building with cmake for fluidsynth-1.1.2 gives

/sw/lib/libfluidsynth.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.4.0)

The problem arises due to the fact that updating from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2, there is a concomitant downgrade of compatibility version from 5.0.0 to 1.0.0. This downgrade can break all programs that link to the previous version of libfluidsynth resulting in distribution breakage.

Two possible solutions could be:

1. Revert to autotools so that the compatibility version also upgrades (from 5.0.0 to 6.0.0).

2. Force cmake to increase the compatibility version. (I don't know how I would do this but there is probably a way ? )

Ebrahim