Re: Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket

From: Bernd Casper
Subject: Re: Re: MIDI Bank Select proposal (was Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket#65)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:30:57 +0200

Forwarded to the list, sorry.

----- Hat den folgenden Inhalt empfangen -----

Absender: Bernd Casper
Empfänger: Elimar Green
Zeit: 2010-08-12, 10:12:51

Hi Elimar,

yes, I do.
My opinion: I can understand the need of the most versatile bank select method for performing MIDI-files. But from my personal point of view (musician, practical, real-time) I need to know how I do handle bank select in FS correctly, only.

The most versatile bank select method has to do something with the playback of MIDI-Files of any "non-standard standard", but nothing to do with FluidSynth. What's currently discussed, is a kind of bank-select-mapper, not a pure bank select. This is drifting away from the main purpose, and opens the thread of implementing MIDI playback "standards" into FluidSynth. In my opinion, this needs more to do than bank select. Certainly, a completely elaborated bank-select-mode-standard-mapper would be a great add, in future.

In my eyes, the most effective way is to cleanse up real *errors* of controller handling (as Pedro stated), and make FS support the GS bank select for default. Then to explain to the public, which message line is needed to select banks in FS correctly. From practical experience, I'd focus on a correct working CC00, a correct handling of bank 0 and a FS default channel handling of channel 9[10] for percussion.

If the user wants to use FS to perform MIDI-files created with a "non-GS standard", it should be left up to him to feed FS with the correct data. This should certainly be the kind of data from files like Chris Collins' examples.

Regards
Bernd.