Re: CMake (was Re: [fluid-dev] Voice renderer, and fluid_voice_t)

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: CMake (was Re: [fluid-dev] Voice renderer, and fluid_voice_t)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:26:25 +0200

On 2010-06-20 23:57, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Sunday, June 20, 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
>>>
>>> There is an alternative CMake build system in trunk, added in SVN
>>> revision #287 (3 months ago). See also ticket #38,
>>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ticket/38
>>>
>>> I've announced it on this list, and asked for comments and testing.
>>> Nobody answered, reported problems or success.
>>>
>>> Today, it is not possible to compile FluidSynth using this new build
>>> system, because there are source files that weren't included in
>>> src/CMakeLists.txt, a file with a simple syntax not very different from
>>> src/Makefile.am that has been updated.
>>>
>>> I think that there are advantages in using CMake (see README.cmake) but
>>> if nobody else supports it except me, it would be a waste to keep and
>>> maintain it.
>>>
>>> I don't have any objection about organizing the source files in
>>> subdirectories, but that would require keeping in sync both build
>>> systems. If you are not interested, please feel free to remove the files
>>> added in revision #287 and close the ticket #38.
>>
>> Right, we need to have a build system discussion, to determine which of
>> these three ways to take (in no particular order) :
>>
>> 1) Maintain autotools and throw CMake out
>> 2) Maintain CMake and throw autotools out
>> 3) Maintain both build systems
>>
>> I'm not a big autotools fan, but I know the basics. I know almost
>> nothing about CMake, so I haven't done much about it, hoping that
>> someone (likely yourself) would keep it up to date.
>
> I can do the required maintenance for the CMake build system, but the basic
> tasks, for instance adding new sources and headers to the build system, is a
> very trivial task, and you should not be afraid to try. Even without any
> guidance I'm sure you will be able to accomplish it. And if not, you can
> request my help at your discretion.

Sounds fair enough to me, for now. I think I'll use CMake for a while
now and see if I run into trouble. My first impression is that I like it
- it seems to be more modern and adjusted for today's needs, compared to
the ancient autotools.

Btw, I've committed an updated CMakeLists.txt and moved files into
"drivers" subdir (just audio and midi drivers) and an "rvoice" dir (for
the voice renderer stuff) which will get more files in it soon.