Re: [fluid-dev] Sound questions

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sound questions
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 21:06:07 +0200

On 2010-06-19 12:21, Bernd Casper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm no programmer and completely new to this list. So first I want to thank
> all of the people contributing to FluidSynth since years, it's a really great
> tool for developing musical instruments like me. I'm member of the jOrgan
> list, and constructing FS based church organs freely available on my webspace
> bca.free-artists.net, for more than two years now. I specialize in soundfonts
> construction.

I'm glad to see FluidSynth being used and appreciated!

> Forgive me if my questions may seem like nonsense for you - I've not the
> slightest idea about the inner world of FS. I've only my ears.
>
> - A polyphony question: How does the cutout mechanism work? In my organs,
> using one instance of FS, I cannot start more than 7 instruments (ranks). I
> experimented several polyphony settings, but this seems not to change
> anything.

Not being able to use more than 7 instruments does not make sense to me.
However, it might be that your CPU's limit is lower than FluidSynth's
limit, leading to underruns if the polyphony setting is higher than your
CPU can handle.

When the polyphony is exceeded, FluidSynth gives every voice a score
(based on age of voice, loudness, and many other things), and the voice
with the lowest score is killed in favor of the new voice.

> - I use an 88 keys keyboard for sound construction. The highest regions of
> the sound are slightly more thin and sharp ("sweet" spectre), compared with
> lower regions of the keyboard. I tried to work around this by sample
> construction, but had only less success. Is is possible to have the sound
> rendered more "full spectre" in the uppest two-and-a-half octaves of the
> keyboard?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. I think it is difficult to
have a full spectrum sound if the note is high - there are overtones but
not undertones.

Have you tried experimenting with the lowpass/resonance filter, e g
turning it off completely?