Re: [fluid-dev] Migrating FluidSynth services

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Migrating FluidSynth services
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:26:55 -0700

Quoting Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <address@hidden>:
On Wednesday, March 31, 2010, address@hidden wrote:
Hello FluidSynth developers and users,

I will be moving FluidSynth services off of the resonance.org domain.
I wanted to ask if there are any opinions or ideas on options for the
various hosted components of the FluidSynth project.  It seems like
some conglomeration of these services might also be a good idea.

Hosted components of the FluidSynth project:
- Trac web site interface
- SVN server
- File download area
- fluid-dev mailing list

I think that pretty much covers it.  I noticed that SourceForge.net
now has Trac support, as well as git (if we ever want to move to that
instead of SVN).  SourceForge seems to be looking fairly nice these
days and my only real objection is the advertising.  It seems to be
fairly focused on software related topics though, so at least its not
some random noise.  I would likely move the file releases to
SourceForge and possibly also the mailing list too, just to bring it
all to one place.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

I fully support the proposal. It has little sense to maintain a private server
when there are so many good and free hosting services for free software
projects.

I am a long term SF.net user, with all my projects hosted there and I'm very
happy with the service. Nothing to say about the advertising, either.

About other options, we are already using some Savanna services (mailing list
and download area), but it also offers now SVN and Git:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/WhyChooseSavannah

I like Savannah because of its "true to free software" nature. But on the other hand, it doesn't seem to be evolving as much as SourceForge.net (it took forever for them to add SVN support, the original reason I started hosting FluidSynth elsewhere) and their documentation is rather bleak.

Also, since I'll be moving all of Swami's services over to SourceForge as well (a good bit of it is already hosted there), I think at this point I'll probably just go with that for FluidSynth too.

One rather major issue though, is that I don't see an easy way to migrate all of the Trac data over to SourceForge's Trac. The user accounts are integrated with SourceForge accounts, which seems nice, but would make it difficult to move all of the existing Trac data over (I don't think it would be possible to retain the user correlations).

For Swami, I am just going to do away with Trac altogether and just use other SourceForge services, since there isn't a huge amount invested in Trac for that project. FluidSynth is a different story though.

Any ideas?

I could try to migrate the Wiki content and tickets over to Trac on SourceForge.net, but it will likely all end up being owned by my user account. Probably the biggest issue with that is that individuals who are currently CC'd on tickets wont be anymore, unless they add themselves on the new Trac instance.

The other option would be to do away with Trac altogether and just use the basic SourceForge ticket system.

As far as SVN is concerned, I'm going to do my best to retain user account information. There aren't a lot of accounts that have been involved in commits, so as long as all of those users have SourceForge accounts, I don't think it will be too difficult to rename the commits. Though I have not previous experience with this.

Regards,
Pedro

So..  Work in progress.  Thanks for the input!

Josh