Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth's volume is too "dynamic"

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth's volume is too "dynamic"
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:48:34 -0800

Quoting "S. Christian Collins" <address@hidden>:
As a further follow-up to this issue, I was wondering if the default
velocity-to-attenuation scale (96 dB) could be user-adjustable.  For
those that like less dynamic disparity between loud and soft notes,
they can change this value to the desired amount.  This would only
affect the default, so if a SoundFont specifically assigns a velocity
curve to a patch, the SoundFont designer's intentions would override
the default.  However, as I mentioned previously, most SoundFonts just
use the default.

The value is set in line 188 of fluid_synth.c:

   fluid_mod_set_amount(&default_vel2att_mod, 960.0);

Of course, 960.0 refers to 96 dB default velocity-to-attenuation.
-~Chris

I think the best way to handle this, would be to add API and shell commands for defining default modulators. These would define default session modulators for all loaded SoundFont files. You could then define a new velocity to attenuation modulator which would replace the default. How does that sound?

Created a ticket for it here:
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/ticket/71

Josh