Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Last QSynth issues committed

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Last QSynth issues committed
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:41:41 -0800

Ahh, and I thought that was going to be the golden commit.

Quoting Rui Nuno Capela <address@hidden>:

re. svn trunk r278

fluid_synth_unset_program() seems to do its deeds now, but ...

that fallback logic needs work still. or else. for example, simple
soundfonts which define fewer instruments/presets than the number of
available channels, are now set initially unassigned, as reported by
fluid_synth_get_channel_info().

I'm not seeing that. I just loaded up a SoundFont in QSynth 0.3.4 with only one preset and it was assigned to every channel, except 10 which is unassigned due to lack of percussion preset. Program/preset 0/0 should get assigned to every channel except 10. Am I misunderstanding what you are seeing?

furthermore, any attempt to assign any
other bank/program to a channel, via fluid_synth_bank_select() and
fluid_synth_program_change(), are strangely refused or will fallback to
unassigned or default preset quite immediately.

Weird. I'm not seeing that in QSynth 0.3.4 though. I tried a SoundFont which has 2 banks of instruments and was able to select from other banks just fine, at least according to the channels dialog.

one other thing, more like a question, is fluid_synth_program_reset()
really supposed to reset all channels to the default bank/program
assignment and disregard any explicit or discrete bank/program change
made so far? i am not sure, but i think that is in complete disruption
with older behavior or semantics from pre 1.1.0

fluid_synth_program_reset() is supposed to work just as before, that is (from the API reference):

Resend a bank select and a program change for every channel.

So it should just resend the bank and program which is already assigned, which might cause a new preset to become assigned if the loaded SoundFont stack or bank offsets have changed. If you are seeing something else, then that is a bug.

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
address@hidden

Do you have some updated QSynth code I could test with? Perhaps there is something going wrong with some of the new functions or something. Or maybe I didn't understand what exactly you are experiencing. Do you have any reproducible steps I could use to observe the problems you are seeing?

Best regards,
Josh