[fluid-dev] Jack and CoreAudio are mutually exclusive

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: [fluid-dev] Jack and CoreAudio are mutually exclusive
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:07:53 -0500

Hello again

I just tried 271 and sound driver function has changed as follows:

If Jack is linked during compilation, fluidsynth can be run with jack as the audio driver but it cannot be run with the coreaudio driver:

$ fluidsynth -a coreaudio  ~/sf2/GeneralUser_GS_FluidSynth_v1.43_RC1.sf2
FluidSynth version 1.1.0
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

fluidsynth: error: Failed to get the default buffer size
Failed to create the audio driver

The only way I can run fluidsynth with coreaudio is to first remove and trash my Jack installation and then build fluidsynth without Jack.

$ fluidsynth -a coreaudio  ~/GeneralUser_GS_FluidSynth_v1.43_RC1.sf2
FluidSynth version 1.1.0
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

Type 'help' for help topics.

Is this by design ?

I do not presently use Firewire audio interfaces so I cannot say if Firewire sound drivers (libffado?) can or cannot co-exist with Jack.