Re: [fluid-dev] Qsynth broken with FluidSynth 1.1.0

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Qsynth broken with FluidSynth 1.1.0
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:12:24 -0800

Hello Rui,

Quoting Rui Nuno Capela <address@hidden>:
hi Josh,

no hard feelings. whatsoever.

it might sound harsh but, trust me, it is not. it's just what i should
tell and hide no more.

Your honesty is definitely appreciated.  I like exercising mine as well :)

surely, i am half-guilty as bad, to only get to
this after you made the release. i should had pay more attention during
development time.

but i guess you know the ol'story, so little time... uber-procrastinator
dixit ;)

I know the feeling completely.

indeed. only the callbacks.

Its a done deal.  Reverted these.

ok. run qsynth. tweak the knobs, any knob. see if they do what's
expected. most probable they don't. quit. then run qsynth again. check
whether the knobs are where you left, as usual. nope. scratch head. you
did all as you always used to. what went wrong? puzzled. :)

The issues with the knobs should now be fixed, along with a couple other embarrassing bugs! I tested QSynth with ALSA sequencer and Jack MIDI file playback. Seemed to work as expected. Could you do some more testing to make sure everything seems as it should be?

Rui..  I think you are waaay over reacting!  We have no intention of
breaking QSynth!  I put a lot of time and effort in FluidSynth 1.1.0.
If there are issues with it, I very much want to fix them.  I think one
thing that has been lacking in the FluidSynth development cycle, is
consistent testing.  I did as much testing as I could and a few others
stepped up to the plate, but to be honest I was really expecting more.
It would have been great if these issues had come to our attention
before the release.  I have no problems releasing a quick update or
taking down 1.1.0 altogether.  In order to resolve the issues, I need to
be able to reproduce the problems that you are experiencing though.  So
far, most of what I have heard from you, is that it is completely broken
and very little more to help pin down WHAT is broken.

I would really appreciate it, if you don't just start assuming that it
is broken for good, its a piece of junk, etc etc..  It *really* pisses
me off and is extremely counter productive!

sorry again. that wasn't my intention really. but it's a fact it is
broken, fubar. eheh. that was my first impression, yesterday. maybe it's
qsynth what has it all wrong, and for ages now.

but we can have a deal: just regress on the const char * thing and i'll
do my homework thereafter. first impressions often lie, ya know? maybe
it's just a few legacy hacks lurking in there. no sweat.

but one thing's for sure: qsynth as is known today is not recommended
for distribution with libfluidsynth 1.1.0--it would be just bad
marketing, worst pr ever for fluidsynth, if you know what i mean :)

Yes it was fubar. I think what was upsetting to me, was that you were quick to assume that it was going to remain broken and that we wouldn't do what we could to set things aright.

it is binary compatible (you can certainly link old qsynth binaries to
newer libfluidsynth.so without a single issue).

i'm first inclined to investigate whether there were severe changes on
the parameter scaling and ranges, whatever (eg. reverb, chorus, master
gain) than anything else atm.

consider the regression of the const char * stuff (only on the
callbacks) and then i'll be more than pleased to do business again :))

cheers && thanks
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
address@hidden

Looking forward to hearing your results of recent SVN commits. Once we know things are working right, I want to release 1.1.1 ASAP!

Cheers!
Josh