[fluid-dev] re: Same client for Jack audio and MIDI

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] re: Same client for Jack audio and MIDI
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 22:54:27 -0700
> From: address@hidden
>
> I suppose we could just make the assumption that there wont
> be
> multiple Jack audio or Jack MIDI clients and call it
> good.  I could
> see a user perhaps wanting to use separate Jack servers for
> audio and
> MIDI though.
>
> Any opinions or ideas on this?

I haven't gotten to try running separate jackd for each soundcard.  So I don't
know what implications there maybe about single instance of jackd.  I do know
that qjackctl currently (last check was last year, though) only deal with one
jackd instance.  If I already have jackd started, qjackctl just assume control
of that instance.  Only heard on the grapevines that separate jackd can be run,
and can be synchronized.

I don't understand what you are refering to.  Are you talking about the
decription/name of the jackd-client, or jackd-client port number, or something
else?  I don't know of jackd options to show existing list of jackd clients,
except using qjackctl, or maybe something like 'patchage'...  With qjackctl, I
see under the audio tab:

   'fluidsynth'
       -- with 'left', 'right' audio channels

under the Jack-MIDI tab:

   'fluidsynth-mid'
       -- with 'midi' port below it

or, under the Alsa-MIDI tab:

   130:FLUID Synth(<processIDnumber>)
       -- 0:Synth input port(<processIDnumber>)

Jimmy