[fluid-dev] Re: Fast file renderer

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: Fast file renderer
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:52:34 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
I also wanted to mention some of my recent commits:
- new_fluid_file_renderer() now just takes a synth instance and gets all other parameters from the synth->settings object.

A little quick, perhaps? I had to fix some issues with the filename
parameter to even make it work.

Really? Hmm. I thought I tested things, thanks for catching that! Does the use of settings for all the parameters seem OK to you?

That's OK with me.

I have upgraded to Karmic now, and now libsndfile has support for .ogg
rendering, which is nice. I'm unsure if Jaunty had that. However, it
doesn't work in fluidsynth since there is no way to specify
SF_FORMAT_VORBIS. But if we add it, I think we break compilation on
every distro older than a few months? An additional trouble is that
sndfile.h does not have a version define, so the obvious way of doing
it does not work. Any ideas?

I was wondering about that too, since I also saw that Vorbis was recently added. We could either explicitly add a "vorbis" type, which could perhaps use an #ifdef SF_FORMAT_VORBIS statement or we could iterate over the available audio formats for the selected file type, if no audio format is specified and the default of 16 bit PCM isn't valid. "vorbis" doesn't seem very useful for any other format, so I kind of like the latter option the most. But we could also implement both.

I realized that PKG_CHECK_MODULES could be used for checking the libsndfile version, so I've committed what I think fixes the problem, have a look and see if it is what you expect.