Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfont licensing

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfont licensing
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 17:51:51 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
Seems like it would have been nice if that was more prominently stated with their products, so you would have had a better chance of catching it before hand. Roughly how many instruments do you think are affected? Sounds like it could be a lot of them.
Well, those samples have spread their tendrils throughout the bank in so many ways, that it would be like a surgery operation to get rid of all of them (and then I would have to properly identify them from the others as well). For example, some patches have a layer of original samples on top of E-MU samples, or might have original samples for most of the keys, but then some E-MU samples to cover the highest end.

Unfortunately, I simply don't have the time to go through and rework all of those instruments. I don't think that Creative/E-MU will be on my case about it, but I don't see how I could release GeneralUser GS under a Debian-compatible license in light of this. Currently, my license does mention the use of E-MU samples, and how the bank cannot be sold for profit. I don't mind anybody redistributing GeneralUser GS or bundling it with a program, but I don't want anyone (or myself) to get in trouble.

-~Chris