Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfont licensing (was: Research: Fluidsynth as intern

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfont licensing (was: Research: Fluidsynth as internal samplerfor Denemo)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:35:59 -0700

Quoting David Henningsson <address@hidden>:
S. Christian Collins skrev:

This thread reminds me: I would really like to release GeneralUser GS
under an open-source license (GPL, etc.).  Right now the license is just
one I made up, but I understand that prevents GeneralUser from being
included with open-source projects, so I would like to change that.

I'm glad that you've come to that conclusion.

I am very new to the whole licensing thing.  Does anybody have any
recommendations for a good license to use?

It depends on what you want people to be able to do with the SoundFont
and not. I primarily have two suggestions, either BSD (free for all
purposes), or GPL with a font exception, possibly modified (restricts
people from doing several things with the SoundFont).

What about some of the creative commons licenses? It always seems strange to me, for someone to use the GPL or BSD for non-software, since they were designed specifically for software. I have seen several examples of this though, but it seems confusing. For example, it seems the Fluid (R3) GM/GS SoundFont is licensed with the MIT license.

Maybe Attribution or Share Alike might suffice? I'm not sure which of the CC licenses are accepted by Debian though.

http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses

If there are future
contributers to GeneralUser, I would still like to be able to have the
final say in what changes make it in or not.

You could add additional clauses to whichever license you choose, such as that newer modified works should be given a new name or something like that. Would that suffice? Are you trying to prevent someone from distributing changed versions and calling it by the same name? Or are you wanting to receive credit for your work? Most of the CC licenses require that public uses of the work is credited to the copyright holder. I think the BSD and MIT licenses require that the copyright notice is distributed with the work as well, same with the GPL.

I also know that some of
the samples in GeneralUser are borrowed from the sample banks
Creative/E-MU has provided for free (shipping with the sound cards, or
on their website as free downloads), and while many other samples come
from free banks online, there is no way for me to be 100% sure that some
of them didn't come from copyrighted sources.  I don't know how this
plays into an open-source license.

All sources are copyrighted one way or another. The question is under
what license terms you're allowed to use the source. I suggest you read
the license terms of the Creative/E-MU banks as well as any other free
bank you remember having taken samples from, to make sure you don't
violate those terms already.

It definitely would be a good idea to check the licenses of the originating samples. This can often be a real pain. I've thought about having per sample MD5 sums in the Resonance Instrument Database. Once the database is fairly complete, in regards to free instruments, identical samples could be tracked between all SoundFonts. This wouldn't cover the case where a sample is modified though, of course, but I'm sure it would be rather interesting, none the less!

Best regards,
Josh