Re: [fluid-dev] Role of glib

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Role of glib
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:51:50 -0700

Quoting address@hidden:

About the fluidsynth on iPhone, indeed dynamic libraries are
impossible, but direct linking of libraries is possible AFAIK. So would
that also make the resulting app LGPL ? I don't think so...

LGPL allows public distribution of commercial applications dynamically
linked to an LGPL library.  Static linking on the other hand, is
considered a "derivative work", when publicly distributed, and thus the
application would have to be licensed compatibly.  Unfortunate for
systems without dynamic linking, when trying to create a commercial
product.  The idea behind the GPL and LGPL is to try to prevent
commercial abuse of software, in which a company attempts to prevent
public access to the software, by creating derivatives and restricting
users rights to it.  Static linking would be an easy way to subvert
this protection, but I agree that the lines get blurry when comparing
between static and dynamic linking.

I personally like the BSD license for certain things, since it allows
for easy use in embedded environments and is less restrictive (more
"free" in my opinion).  It would be pretty difficult to change the
license of FluidSynth though, since it would require consulting those
in AUTHORS to get their permission.

At any rate, I don't mean to start some sort of license thread..  They
can get pretty tiresome ;)

Just wanted to clarify things as to my statement concerning static linking. From most interpretations of the LGPL, it seems you can distribute a commercial application statically linked to an LGPL library, so long as you provide a way for any user to relink the application with a possibly newer/modified version of the LGPL library. Confusing and probably difficult to comply with, which is why dynamic linking is usually chosen.

Perhaps we can see about adding some exceptions to FluidSynth's license, which make the static linking case easier and less confusing.

Josh