[fluid-dev] Research: Fluidsynth as internal samplerfor Denemo

From: list
Subject: [fluid-dev] Research: Fluidsynth as internal samplerfor Denemo
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:29:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hello list,

my Name is Nils and I'm in the Denemo Team (http://www.denemo.org)
Denemo is a cross-plattform Notation Editor and Lilypond-Frontend.

I write you because I am researching if we can use fluidsynth as
internal sampler and/or fallback-sampler. The goal is that our users
without JACK, ALSA or whatever configured system can hear quite good
sound output. They should not need to configure anything in the best
case.

The question first, then additional information:
Can we use fluidsynth internally without using JACK or ALSA or such API?
Does fluidsynth has its own API?
Or the same issue as another question: Do you know a way to use
fluidsynth on Linux/Mac/Win without having the user to install and
configure additional Sound-APIs ?

More Info:
Currently our MIID-branch is in heavy development. We us libsmf to
generate Midi-Data and use JACK-Midi to send midi data in realtime. To
be honest we have quite a few problems and it is not working as
expected. One reason is, that we have many old things in there (Denemo
started in 1999): Direct calls to /dev/midi , a portaudio engine plus
our own little sinus-tone generator, until recently a broken
ALSA-sequencer and somewhere hidden there must be a C-Sound function
which can be used to confuse users, too :)

To improve the current situation the first thing is to strip all  those
dependencies mentioned and then establish a way which is simple and
works on all Systems/OS's.

 Now you could say: "so.. JACK-midi is avaible on Linux, OSX and Windows
and you have JACK-Midi in Denemo, whats the problem?"
The Problem is that there are systems which don't have JACK and users
who  are too dumb to use it. This is really not our problem, but maybe
there is a solution.

To repeat the question:
Can we use fluidsynth as a sampler which can be used if JACK is not
avaible? And how do we do that?

greetings from Denemo

Nils