Re: [fluid-dev] Re: MIDI Standard Specs

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: MIDI Standard Specs
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:34:21 -0700

Quoting "S. Christian Collins" <address@hidden>:
SoundFont synths that I have used over the years (such as the EMU10K1
synths) seem to put the default reverb at 0.  Personally, I think this
is preferred.  I think reverb (like chorus) is one of those settings
that should be left at 0 unless the musician specifically wants to add
it to a channel.

What do you guys think?
-~Chris

I agree, especially since a given Reverb value is implementation dependent as to how it affects the sound. I doubt many people design MIDI songs that rely on the default reverb being 40. Depending on how the FluidSynth Reverb and/or Chorus are configured, I've found that it can at times have pretty adverse affects on the sound. Chorus in particular seems to cause tone changes for example, at least perceptibly and a rather huge change in volume, as I know you are aware.

Best regards,
Josh