Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth with jack: one channel per MIDI instrument

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth with jack: one channel per MIDI instrument
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:11:17 +0200

On Wednesday, June 17, 2009, laurent schwartz wrote:
> Can we define or set one jack audio channel output per MIDI instrument used
> ?

Yes. But I advice you to use QSynth [1] to do this, it has a checkbox
labelled "Multiple Jack Outputs" in the audio tab allowing you to enable this
feature. The settings "audio channels" and "audio groups" are used to map the
MIDI channels into jack outputs.

If you want to do this with the FluidSynth command line interface, then you
would need some options at startup, for instance:

$ fluidsynth -a jack -r 48000 -o audio.jack.multi=yes \
             -o synth.audio-channels=16 \
             -o synth.audio-groups=16 \
             SoundFont.sf2

The above sample should map every MIDI channel into a different jack output,
but I warn you that it didn't work for me, so it can be broken or needs some
other option that I can't remember.

[1] http://qsynth.sourceforge.net

Regards,
Pedro