Re: [fluid-dev] glib changes checked in

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] glib changes checked in
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 09:22:12 +0200

On Saturday, May 2, 2009, address@hidden wrote:
> Quoting Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <address@hidden>:
> > Builds now with msys/mingw32, with a little change to configure.ac
> > (required to link against winsock), but I've not tried yet with MSVC.

I've tried now, without success. It doesn't compile under msvc 2008 express.
Lots of compiler errors regarding sockets in fluid_sys.c

> > The executable doesn't work, though: it aborts abruptly after the
> > greeting, without clues.
>
> Is it possible to debug or get some sort of backtrace?

It is not a crash, so there is no backtrace. I've attached the debugger
output.

> > What about fluid_hash.* and fluid_list.* ?
>
> In regards to the statement about memory allocation terminating the
> application?

I was asking about your plans, if you are going or not to replace these
sources by the original types from glib.

> I think internally a lot of glib uses g_malloc and
> friends, which will indeed terminate on an out of memory condition.  I
> hadn't really thought of the full implications of this before, since
> it will have this effect on any application that FluidSynth is being
> used from.
[...]
> Does this seem bad enough to warrant not using glib, is the question..

I'm not familiar enough with glib. The only problem that I see with this issue
is if the user won't be notified about the memory problem. This doesn't look
like a very good quality indicator.

Regards,
Pedro