Re: [fluid-dev] OS/2 support and glib

From: KO Myung-Hun
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] OS/2 support and glib
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:18:35 +0900

Hi/2.

address@hidden wrote:
Sending again since I forgot to CC the list with my reply.

Quoting KO Myung-Hun <address@hidden>:
Hi/2.

address@hidden wrote:
Hello,

I've read that the glib library supports OS/2, but I haven't seen a place to download it. I hope that it does not over complicate the OS/2 build of FluidSynth to move to using glib. Do let us know. I'll be removing some of the OS/2 specific code in favor of glib provided code.

You can find 'glib' stuffs here,

   http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=glib&pushbutton=Search

I think that 'glibidl_20070521.zip' is most reliable because it is used
by Mozilla suite. But I know it is 1.2.x.

BTW, unfortunately I have not used them at all, so I cannot be sure
they work fine.

Currently I was planning on requiring glib 2.10, as it has some features like memory slices and in turn is required by libinstpatch, which may be a future FluidSynth dependency. I see that the version on that site is glib 2.6 though.

The benefits of using glib as far as code maintainability and portability (for most operating systems) is very convenient. I would like to try and keep OS/2 support, since you have made the effort to add it.

Thanks for your consideration for me.

I think if it comes down to using glib or supporting OS/2 though, I will likely choose glib.

There aren't a whole lot of additional features with 2.10 though, so we could probably depend instead on 2.6 or some lower version, or at least provide backwards compatibility.

Ok. If possible, I want for you to do so.

I'm still totally amazed that OS/2 is still being used! ;) That you are looking at a screen with a build of Mozilla, surfing the Internet. Amazing!

Actually, OS/2 is still being developed as eComStation by Serenity Systems. And I know, the build distributed most quickly of the contributed ones, is OS/2 build. ^^

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.1.16
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15
On AMD ThunderBird 1 GHz with 512 MB RAM

Korean OS/2 User Community : http://www.ecomstation.co.kr