Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for fast midi file rendering

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for fast midi file rendering
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 23:04:24 +0200

Josh Green skrev:
> On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 22:08 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>>> I like the use of '-' to indicate stdout.  That is common to many
>>> applications and would save the user from accidentally getting a
>>> terminal full of seemingly endless junk.
>> Seems like a good idea. Hopefully noone wants to create a file named "-"?
> Then they can do:
> fluidsynth my.sf2 my.mid -F - >'-'

Would it be confusing to make -F have an optional argument? It seems
like getopt supports it. (What we don't want is that a person's precious
midi file gets overwritten, but I don't know if making it optional makes
any difference in that context.)

> I think some applications have a way around that (an extra switch or
> something), but who wants a file called -?  Maybe -.wav or -.au ;)

Are you talking about when we're starting to depend on libsndfile now?

> One thing I think would be good to add to the renderer API is a public
> function for calling a callback instead of using a file handle.

Are you talking about the output from libsndfile? Otherwise that would
be the same as just calling fluid_synth_write_s16?