Re: [fluid-dev] The 1.1.0 milestone

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] The 1.1.0 milestone
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:52:01 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:25:30 +0200
> From: Bernat Arlandis i Ma??  <address@hidden>

> Thanks Jimmy for caring about the fate of my efforts. You
> might not know
> that everything I've done is in the public trac repository
>
> (http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/browser/branches/2.x),
> the changes
> I was in the middle of won't get committed since they would
> break it,
> and the other things that were already thought out aren't
> written
> anywhere, so it's just what's there. There's one
> refactoring change
> done, and some little fixes, one patch is already merged in
> the stable
> version. So that's everything and it's not that much as you
> can see, I
> was just starting.
>
> It seems like something has sparked Josh's interest and
> he's the
> maintainer, so I guess that's the new path to take and we
> must
> reposition ourselves to the new plan. My interest on FS was
> going for
> the big things and I don't feel like developing them with
> the current
> codebase (I explained what would make my work
> easier),  so here is where
> my FS development interest ends. I'm a bit upset at Josh
> for not knowing
> how the new plan affected the previous one, specially
> because it's been
> just a few months since we talked about it.
>
> I don't feel bad for the time spent doing this, I've get to
> know the
> project and the people behind it better, and I've dropped
> some ideas
> that could be useful, it's not wasted time. I might find
> time to help in
> the list and do some small patches for fixing bugs that I
> find, that's
> all I want to do for now.
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Bernat Arlandis i Mañó

Bernat, thanks for pointing out the 2.x code branch is already there.

I took a diff of that and fluidsynth  SVN 20090317 (last time I got it, close
enough).

There are some changes but not alot of changes so far between 1.0.9 and 2.x.
Anyone who had made any code diff's for 1.0.9 branch should have little problem
merging their changes with the current 2.x code branch.

The real question should be this: is the 2.x code as it exist now is reasonable
to adopt and move forward with.

The majority of the code is still identical.  If 1.1.0 is to go ahead and add
changes with gobject, and libinstpatch, those changes will introduce much more
changes to the underlying structures than the differences between 1.x and 2.x
code base right now.

So anyone who has an hour to spare, you can do a check out of 1.x SVN and get
the 2.x zip file from the trac page that Bernat pointed out, do a quick diff,
take a look and add your comments if you will.

Those with code diffs for new features, take a look and see for yourself how
much or little work it would take to merge.

Again the real question is whether the current 2.x code is something that has
severe adverse affects on anyone.

Of course, moving forward is going to be much different and will affect
existing code for everyone, especially with the adoption of gobject, and
libinstpatch.

Jimmy