Re: [fluid-dev] Introductions and interest in FluidSynth

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Introductions and interest in FluidSynth
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:15:27 +0200

Hello all,
rapid introduction:

I'm 47 and living in Paris, France. I'm both a programming consultant (www.schmittmachine.com ) and an artist (www.gratin.org/as/), using programming as a main artistic material : things that act by themselves, programmed freedom, things like this...

I started using fluidsynth when it was called iiwu, as part of a generative music composition tool (www.infiniteCD.org), of which one of the bricks was fluidXtra, an Xtra (plugin) for Macromedia (now Adobe) Director (www.schmittmachine.com/fluidXtra.html). This Xtra provides all the functionnalities of fluidsynth, and more, to the Director programming environment, on Mac and Windows. This Xtra is actually quite popular since it is the only full featured synthesizer in the Abode Director world. And it is free (gratis) and opensource, and works online in browsers (as Director Xtras are autodownloadable).

As part of the fluidXtra effort, I designed with Peter Hanappe (the original designer of fluidsynth) the sequencer API, and I implemented it inside fluidsynth. So I am partly to blame for the slightly bogus timing implementation of the sequencer... As part of this effort, I also helped port the synth to Mac OS9, MacOSX and Windows (under Visual and DirectX).

Using Director and fluid, I created many of my personal audio and musical artworks, especially using the realtime effects and the sequencer features for realtime audio and music generation systems.

At some point, I also created a plugin version of the fluidsynth for the Virtools (www.virtools.com) 3D authoring tool (Windows), but it is not maintained anymore since the Virtools SDK is now closed.

Unfortulately, I don't have much time to help implementing patches to fluidsynth these days, but I can give my advices and ideas...

Right now, I'm planning to port fluidsynth to iPhone, as a basis for various musical apps, which should nto be very difficult. I will keep you posted on this.

Cheers !